[nycbug-talk] revised and ready?

G. Rosamond george
Mon Jan 12 18:54:55 EST 2004

please review. . .

i'm not sending out until i get a few okays. . .

We have initiated a BSD user group in New York City called  NYCBUG
(pronounced "nice-bug").

There are two goals for this new user group:

First, to provide a forum for the many BSD users in New York City to
discuss and debate topics of interest to the BSD  community.

Second, to provide a bridge to users interested in learning  more about
or expanding their knowledge of the BSD family.

Our kick-off event will be a free "birds-of-a-feather" session  at
LinuxWorld Expo at the Jacob Javits Center on January 22nd  at 5:45pm,
Room 1E15.  We will have a presence at various  tables at the expo,
including those of BSDMall and New York  PHP.

Our first presentation, "Secure by Default: Learning from  OpenBSD,"
will be held on Wednesday, February 4th at 7:00pm in  the offices of
SageSecure, 116 West 23rd Street and 6th Avenue  on the fifth floor.  To
be given by Wes Sonnenreich, author of  "Building Linux and OpenBSD
Firewalls" and "Network Security  Illustrated," this talk will deal with
crucial security  concepts and best practices for today's computing
environments.   Subsequent meetings will take place at 7:00pm on the
first  Wednesday of the month.

Our website is located at www.nycbug.org.  The site will  include a
joint documentation project with New York PHP and  OpenlySecure.org,
focused on providing original documentation  to new and experienced BSD
users alike.  NYCBUG also provides  community mailing lists to assist in
discussion and learning  about the BSD world.  Interested users join the
mailing list at  http://www.nycbug.org/mailinglist.html.

NYCBUG is open to all interested individuals, including, but  not
limited to, users of FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,  DragonFlyBSD,
OpenDarwin, Darwin and Mac OSX.

Since the origins of Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) UNIX  in the
1970's, BSD has been a consistent force among the  backroom servers of
the world, powering internet service  providers, hosting firms, and web
sites such as Yahoo! and  2600.com.  NYCBUG works to assist current
users, those  interested in learning more about this fundamental
operating  system family and various other BSD projects, and to provide
a  channel for community interaction.

We look forward to supporting the BSD community in a variety of  ways in
the coming months and years.  Please join us in making  NYCBUG a
success.