[nycbug-talk] 2nd Planning Meeting for NYCBUG 01/06/04 notes

Hans Zaunere hans
Wed Jan 14 10:02:15 EST 2004

I'm playing catchup...

> NYCBUG Planning Meeting		January 6, 2004
>
> notes by GEORGE
>
> present were:
>
> 	Kliment
> 	Marc
> 	Hans
> 	Wes
> 	Michael
> 	George
>
> Announcement Spiel
>
> Much discussion about spiel that will go on lists and www
> sites.   (note
> that there were no comments when posted to the list in  mid-December).
> Main points were emphasis and structure.   Meeting title for Feb 4
> determined to be "Secure by Default:  Learning from OpenBSD."  GEORGE
> will provide updated version shortly, and all can begin distributing.
> HANS will send him copy from today's meeting.
>
> !!!Everyone should have NYCBUG.org aliases to post announcement!!!

Pass me an address to forward to and I'll setup an alias.

> Distribution broken down as follows:
>
> * Deja/usenet, covering all BSD and Mac lists, MARC
> * Mailing lists, advocacy & chat:
> 	FreeBSD, GEORGE
> 	OpenBSD, WES
> 	NetBSD, ARON
> 	Darwin/Mac, MARC
> * Sites
> 	Daemon News, GEORGE
> 	Deadly.org, WES
> 	bsdforums.org, MICHAEL
> 	bsdvault.net, KLIMENT
> 	bsdhound.com, GEORGE
> 	kerneltrap.org, KLIMENT
> 	rootprompt.org, HANS

Done.

> 	bsdatwork.com, MICHAEL
> 	bsdnet.org, MARC
> 	freebsddiary.org, GEORGE
> 	bsdusergroup.org, GEORGE
> 	other BUGS, GEORGE
> * IRC, KLIMENT
>
> And of course, everyone is encouraged to go through bookmarks  and add
> to the list.  It's a good idea to tell others via list  other
> locations announcement is posted.
>

> BOF Meeting
>
> ARON isn't present, he was responsible for fliers for BOF & Feb  4th
> meeting flier.
>
> Vistaprint.com doesn't do fliers, so GEORGE will talk with ARON  about
> an alternative.  We should need approximately 500.  Could  order
> business cards with NYCBUG and wwww site from Vistaprint.
>
> GEORGE will chair meeting, Don from BSDMall will speak for five
> minutes, followed by Wes and Michael on NYCBUG.  WES will also  do a
> book signing and provide "Network Security Illustrated" 50%
> off.  MARC will deal with refreshments.
>
> Linux Expo
>
> KLIMENT will deal with large signs (3) with NYCBUG logo &
> logos  of the projects, and will send markups to list for review.
Fliers & signs
> will be at NYPHP & BSDMall tables, at least.  All  should plan to
> volunteer a few hours over the duration of the  show.
>
> GEORGE will talk to BSDMall about distributing WES' book, and  having
> him at BSDMall table for book signing.
>
> SOMEONE (?) will take care of finding bar for informal get  together
> after January 22nd BOF meeting.
>
> Vendor Relations
>
> We're getting a bunch of FBSD 4.8 cd's from BSDMall, Michael
> will speak to publishers about free books and discounts with  lead
from HANS.

Good progress Michael - my work here is done :)

> GEORGE will follow up with ARON about Wasabi.   WES will
> follow up with Dave Cook at TekServe, also he should  mention meeting
space.

> NYCBUG Logo
>
> GEORGE will email Marshall about logo for approval.  Possibly
>  redesign to integrate different BSD variants.
>
> WWW Site Revision
>
> GEORGE & HANS will discuss.

Couple minor revisions/fixes to the site... more to come.

> Mailing List
>
> Managed officially by MARC.
>
> Mail Accounts
>
> Going to stick to aliases, until we can get mail server.
>
> Regular Meeting Space
>
> Temporarily, we will use Sage, but should investigate larger  space,
> such as TekServe.  Free only, as in beer.
>
> Proposed Meetings
>
> Need to plan March 3rd meeting as soon as possible.  ARON
> needs  to talk to Wasabi about BSD & Embedded Systems talk, WES can
> talk to TekServe about BSD & OSX talk.
>
> Documentation Project
>
> Michael's laptop battle will be posted, possibly using CMS app  from
> NYPHP.  Will also consider a BSD "family watch" similar to  Linux

The CMS is in the works.  I'll keep everyone updated.

All from here,