[nycbug-talk] fbsd 5.2

Scott Robbins scottro
Fri Jan 16 20:49:41 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 07:36:15PM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
> some recent experiences. . .
>
> 1.  the install process adds a couple of more questions, including
> whether you want to allow ssh logins.

Yeah, I tabbed through that a time or two, and had to go back at the
end, when they asked do you want to go back for more options.  Oops.

> 2.  seems that everytime you go into sysinstall, a whole set of comments
> are added to the rc.conf, which i think is a pain in the ass.  so you're
> having a problem using the ports, and decide to use sysinstall's
> packages.  boom, three or so lines of code clogging up your rc.conf.

Hrrm, this I didn't see.

> 3.  also, for some reason, when i enable linux compatibility *each* time
> during the install process, it bombs out and i need to do it manually
> later on.

No, I didn't have this issue either--on a couple of boxes, some vanilla
ones and a couple of old Dell Dimensions.

One thing I did run into...

My first upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2 on a test box went without problem.
So, then I did it on my workstation at home and it died in make
installworld.  Tried a couple of other test upgrades, no problem.

So, getting bold, decided to do it on my workstation at work. (To make
it funnier, backed up important things, and this was late Friday--on
Monday, when I came in, forgot that I hadn't yet moved the tarball to
another box)

Again, it died during installworld.

I still haven't figured out why--the only major warning I see in
UPDATING is to be sure you have the COMPAT stuff in the kernel, which I
did.  Googling indicated a ~few~ people with the same problem, but not
many--so apparently I've just been unlucky. On the other hand, I'm not
willing to try it again with a box with important things, at least not
without being sure I backed them up first (I did get the tarball off the
other hard drive--it wouldn't boot, but I put it in another machine and
just copied the stuff off of it.)

That's the only real problem I've had with 5.2, that upgrade from 5.1.

Clean installs went without any noticeable glitches.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Wesley: Back, creature of the night! Leave this place!
Evil Willow: Don't wanna.
Wesley: (threatens with holy water)
Evil Willow: (sighs) Whatever.