[nycbug-talk] new to freebsd install on thinkpad 560x

michael lists
Sat Jan 17 10:12:48 EST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 01:21:36 -0500
Josh McCormack <joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm new to freebsd and want to install on a thinkpad 560x (external
> floppy). Anyone have any pointers or advice?
>
> Josh

Josh,
It sounds like you are looking for general advice.

I installed FreeBSD on a laptop recently.  Mine was an older Dell so the hardware has been around for a while and is well supported.  The only problem I had out of the gate was the pcmcia network card.  I couldn't get it to work.. and sure enough, it was NOT on the supported hardware list.  So my first 'pointer' would be to point to that list.  Make sure all your hardware is supported before you start.  Other than that, everything went well and the ol' laptop seems to be running faster than it ever did.  My second 'pointer' would be to follow the installation instructions, even if you are a seasoned systems guy.

Assuming version 5.2R, check hardware...
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2R/hardware.html

I know you already know this.. but the hand book is your friend.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Step-by-step installation directions:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

these are some good laptop related links:
http://www.zapatec.com/freebsd/laptop/
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html

The BSD forums are a great resource.  If there was ever a problem, resolution, opinion, tip.. etc, then this is the place.
BSD on Laptops:
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=64

Google it!! warning, long links:
Groups:
http://www.google.com/groups?as_q=thinkpad%20560x%20freebsd&safe=images&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2004&lr=lang_en&num=30&hl=en
Web:
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&q=thinkpad+560x+freebsd&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2003&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2004&sa=N&tab=gw

Post back here and let us know how it went.  In fact, if you feel motivated, write up an install diary and maybe we can add it to the documentation section.

If you have more questions, feel free to post.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Michael