[nycbug-talk] www revision

Isaac Levy ike
Sun Jan 25 16:27:08 EST 2004

George, Jeff, All,

While I agree in spirit with the NetBSD-like idea (and can immeadiately
see all the various mascots hanging out on the same page- and have
never seen that before...), I feel compelled to humbly echo Jeff's
sentiment re. graphic simplicity.

I'm going to put a shout in for graphic, as even the NetBSD folks are
soon retiring their logo here-

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-advocacy/2004/01/14/0001.html

VERY hard to maintain, though a lovable and awesome logo.

- ---
Here's what I want to offer in as positive alternative:

I'd shoot for something very graphic and simple that can reproduce well
at small sizes even, and do some hysterics with mascots' graphics
ad-hock on the site as time goes on- (mascots hanging out on the
subway, top of empire state building, etc...)
Much fun can be had there I feel- but it's NO fun to have to get some
flyer out the door and spend a few hours at copy-shop getting it to
look right...

Orgs that have various people who will need to use the logo for things
over time, can do so without someone really managing it if it's kept
simple enough.  Makes me think of early Russian Constructivist Graphic
Design, lots of clean lines, easy to mechanically reproduce.  Magazines
of that era like 'Novyi Lief' all kept consistency in graphic identity
(really beautiful stuff), though they were run mostly by volunteers who
would come and go...

Much like the design of the BSD's themselves, good foundations lead to
natural development based on understanding via osmosis...  Clean
graphic framework can be thought of as similar.

My .04cents, for however the logo ends up, I'll proudly sport it-

Rocket-
.ike