[nycbug-talk] I've arrived redux...

Trish Lynch trish
Tue Jan 27 07:32:08 EST 2004

So George wanted me to introduce myself a bit....

I'm Trish (aka Pat), and I'm a geek (no duh, but had to go with the AA
approach)

But seriously... I started the original BSD users group here in NYC, a few
years ago, which was more of a social group, we did dinners and such, and
somewhere I still have pictues of when we entertained two out of town
committers who came from Europe.

The users group sorta fell apart when I mvoed out of town, this one has
quite a bit more momentum.

I am also on the core team for an open source mailing list manager called
Ecartis (formerly Listar) which is a LISTSERV-a-like. And I've been
involved on and off in FreeBSD development, maintain a few ports, and for
a while was one of the biggest international advocates. I worked for VA
Linux and wrote for Slashdot (under the names BSD-Pat and AilleCat), as
well as putting two FreeBSD firewalls right in front of OSDN's network
(hence in front of Slashjdot/Freshmeat/Thinkgeek/Newsforge).

Lately I just don;t have as much time, as I'm very active in several
non-computing communities, doing activism in those communities, have a 15
month old son, etc. etc. etc.

I currently work for a department/division of Walt Disney Internet Group
that uses FreeBSD extensively, and is actively migrating to FreeBSD 5.x
from Linux.

I'm more here in a possible advisory capacity, I don;t have enough time or
energy to devote immense amounts of time, but G. has things well in hands
with everyone else :) I can speak about my experiences with *BSD
(Free/Net/Open) in commercial and academic environments, or talk about
what it was like to do some major advocacy, as well as maybe do some work
here and there, and even do something like a FreeBSD "Munch" type thing,
where we do dinner and talk and drink and have a good time, outside the
formal meetings.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16