[nycbug-talk] list volume, starting web-forums and other lists

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Tue Jan 27 13:39:27 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:13:05 -0500 (EST)
Wes Sonnenreich <wes at sagesecure.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We've reached the point where list volume is getting significant.

I count 20 so far today and 41 yesterday, volume is not that bad

> We need an announce list.

I agree with that

> We also could use an admin list for organizers, or people interested > > in getting involved in organizing.

That I do not think we need, yet.  It is still a small enough group that
it is good to keep people aware of what is happening.

> It would also be nice to start segmenting general talk discussions into:
>
> - community networking (the personal type, vs. the cat-5 type)
> - technical chat
> - help (newbie -> root)
> - security related discussions
> - misc chat

I think that this would be a bad idea at the present time, the volume is still low enough that the exposure to other sub groups is good.  My personal threshold is around 150-200 messages/day before it becomes an issue for me.  After all everything goes in a folder and you do not have
to read it.

> etc.
>
> As proposed earlier, web forums would be ideal for this, especially if the
> forums had some sort of bridge to the discussion lists.
>
> With that in mind, I've started to set up some forums on the openlysecure
> site. I'm going to try to install the m2f plugin for phpbb, which might
> allow us to link the web forums with various discussion lists.
>
> if anyone cares to take a look at it, it's here:
>
> http://www.openlysecure.org/forums/index.php?c=8
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Wes

Since you are doing it already I vote fewer groups is better:
BSDTech
Social
Security

We can always add more.  And do we really want the linux groups there?

marc