[nycbug-talk] list volume, starting web-forums and other lists

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Tue Jan 27 17:12:04 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:33:24 -0500 (EST)
Wes Sonnenreich <wes at sagesecure.com> wrote:

> >> It would also be nice to start segmenting general talk discussions
> >into:
>
> > I think that this would be a bad idea at the present time, the
> > volume is still low enough that the exposure to other sub groups is
> > good.  My personal threshold is around 150-200 messages/day before
> > it becomes an issue for me.  After all everything goes in a folder
> > and you do not have to read it.
>
> I'm thinking 3 mailing lists:
> announce (corresponding to the NYCBUG forum category)
> talk (corresponding to the *BSD Technical)
> help (corresponding to the *BSD Help)

I would use
announce: meetings etc
tech: technical issues, includes requests for help
talk: for general/social discussion and job postings

And going forward I would hope there is enough job post to
warrant a jobs group also.

marc