[nycbug-talk] Possible topics for future meetings

michael lists
Tue Jan 27 17:06:26 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:12:48 -0500 (EST)
"G. Rosamond" <George at sddi.net> wrote:

> > A dispassionate comparison of Linux (Debian & Gentoo are
> > particularly of interest to me) and FreeBSD (others also
> > if desired).

> i think this is a great idea.

I could offer up a lot on Gentoo, I run it on several
servers and desktops. It has been described as the most BSD
of the Linux Distros.  Frankly, that is what drove me to
BSD.  If Gentoo had emulated it in a few ways, then why not
find out why, eh?.   I'm still relatively new to BSD but I
may be able to add to the discussion.

The technical differences beg for a deeper discussion.
Having said that, the appearance and feel are surprisingly
similar. Here's my (unsolicited) take on that.

Server: Once I got bash and nano installed <grin> I felt
quite at home.  Much of the directory structure and command
syntax is similar.  It is like jumping into your buddy's
car.. you might not know how to crank the AC with
searching for it for a second, but, you're gonna know how to
drive it without even thinking.  After one lap around
the"cvsup portsfile"(emerge sync) and "cd /appname ; make
install"(emerge appname) you'll be ready to compile a new
kernel.

Desktop: Once you get X and fluxbox (or openbox, kde,
gnome, etc) loaded it will look just like any linux box.
Add a browser, email, text editor, chat, and whatever else
you usually run and you won't know the difference.

Obviously a meeting topic wouldn't be about *fluff* like
that but about gnarly tech stuff <grin>

Michael

--
---