[nycbug-talk] the lists. . .

G. Rosamond george
Wed Jan 28 06:42:14 EST 2004

->> okay. ..how about this. . .
->> newusers: for new users with basic questions
->I'm uncomfortable with the elitist label 'newuser'.  Where

'elitest'?  then call it support.. .

->would you post *your* questions?  Do you even have questions
->anymore, have you stopped learning, George? <grin>

i'm the only one who has patience with me. . .

->"support" is a bridge.
->"support" sounds -inclusive-... not -us&them-.
->"support" is a welcome place where you get answers not RTFM.

okay tiger.

->My List of Lists
->admin 		- not public - administrative list
->announce 	- read only - user group news and public announcements
->support 	- public - discussion/help list
->talk 		- public - current list, very open
->if needed:jobs - public - optimistic, thanks george

things are happening around with jobs. . .it could at least be a vehicle
for headhunters. . .people will learn that nycbug has a higher quality
of technical people than your average ug.

agree on all except admin. . .what goes in there, concretely?

->I'm NOT volunteering for moderator on any of these (today) so
->they may stay open for a while until a group of people step up.

ah, great.  lots of proposals, no volunteering. . . what is this,
congress?

->Provided this gets wildly popular, like we all hope, the
->support structure can be expanded to support.hardware,
->support.installation, support.desktop, support.grid, etc..
->The same goes for the admin list.  The small group of people
->re-working the web site may want a private list composed of
->non-admin people: admin.website.  Or another group may be
->plotting: admin.ShutMichealUp

*i'll* volunteer for the last one. . . ;-)

seriously, i do that that would be the appropriate trajectory.

i like these ideas michael, i just don't see the point of admin yet.  we
don't have much of an infrastructure, and i think the 'admin' related
issues fit under talk/general for now. . .