[nycbug-talk] How to enable pccard/PCMCIA cards?

VaibhaV Sharma vaibhav
Thu Jan 29 15:00:05 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 14:51, Pete Wright wrote:
> VaibhaV Sharma wrote:
>
> >Correct me if I am wrong, my point is that even before the kernel can
> >get to the PCMCIA card, it should have the driver for the pcmcia
> >subsystem. How do I enable the pcmcia services? /etc/rc.d/pccard start
> >does not seem to do anything.
> >

> i'm not a PCMCIA expert, but that should do it aslong you have support
> in your kernel for PCMCIA.  In your dmesg log, how does it report PCMCIA
> detection?

Ah! Thanks for making me do that again. I missed the cardbus dmesg
output the last time I checked.

Just for the records if anyone else is searching for this, dmesg had
this -

	cbb0: Could not grab register memory

Googled and someone suggested putting this in /boot/loader.conf -

	hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1

and viola! it works now -

-------------------------------
cbb0: <TI4510 PCI-CardBus Bridge> irq 10 at device 6.0 on pci2
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0

wi0: <NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 10
function 0 config 1 on pccard0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:30:ab:14:07:8f
wi0: using RF:PRISM2 MAC:HFA3841 CARD:HWB3163-SST-flash
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (0.3.0), Station (1.3.4)
wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

Thank you very much,

VaibhaV
http://vsharma.net