[nycbug-talk] USENIX Guru Session on SysAdministration

Jesse Callaway jesse
Fri Jul 2 00:51:40 EDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 10:36 PM, Rick Aliwalas wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>
>> for REAL, I'm all over CVS for server management. Sounds like CVS
>> could
>> be used for a lot of cloney stuff.
>
> CVS is used for version control for larger projects.  For sysadmins,
> RCS
> works fine for keeping track of changes to config files.  It's
> extremely
> simple to use and makes reverting back to non-hosed versions of a
> config file a breeze.  It allows you to go back to any previous
> version of a file or just look at what changes have been made and
> by whom.
>
> By "cloney" do you mean keeping config files between multiple machines
> in
> sync?  rsync is great for that.
>
> -rick

yeah, I was thinking of how it would make sense myself when I first
read it. I think it would be best where file storage limitations are a
concern. maybe really large organizations.... as you say.