[nycbug-talk] mad uptime

G.Rosamond george
Fri Jul 2 13:20:34 EDT 2004

On Jul 2, 2004, at 11:33 AM, Rick Aliwalas wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:
>
>>> some other minor stuff.  Went from BIND4, to BIND8, to BIND9 over the
>>> years w/o rebooting.  Try that on Windoze!
>>
>> or on a 'unix-like' system. . .
>
> osx I assume?  I went to the osx class here at usenix and got an
> extreme
> headache keeping up with all the windows/icons/drop-downs etc shown to
> administer the box.  It's so much easier to edit a text file - but the
> instructor focused on the mac way.  Which is fine but awful hard to
> follow - for me at least.

I didn't attend tutorials at all. . .sounds like a strange way to run a
USENIX tutorial though.

Although I do know when I need to troubleshoot something I haven't
experienced on OS X, i tend to do it the unix way, since i'm pretty
lost with many gui functions.  it would be nice to see them tied
together.

> It was mentioned a few times how great it was that apple is embracing
> open source and its positive impact etc etc.  As far as I can tell,
> apple benefits from oss _far_ more than the other way around.  Funny, I
> got flamed by some folks in the class when I innocently asked (ok,
> trolled)
> what applications are they running that warrant a G5 server as opposed
> to a
> *BSD box.  They came at me hard w/ the old windows argument that unix
> cmd-line is too cryptic, the learning curve is to high, its easier to
> train admins to use a gui,...

Excellent point.  It's clear that anyone can quickly learn the gui
operations. . .it's the cli that separates the technical world.

> The highlight of the class was when the instructor ran the following
> cmd
> from a Terminal :
>
> 	% ls -l | say

nice. . .i guess. . .