[nycbug-talk] mad uptime

Louis Bertrand louis
Sun Jul 4 16:29:10 EDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2004, at 6:17 PM, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> >> osx I assume?  I went to the osx class here at usenix and got an
> >> extreme
> >> headache keeping up with all the windows/icons/drop-downs etc shown to
> >> administer the box.  It's so much easier to edit a text file - but the
> >> instructor focused on the mac way.  Which is fine but awful hard to
> >> follow - for me at least.
> >
> > GUI administration at USENIX ? :^)
> >
> > Whats worse: this ? or Windows being POSIX compliant ? lol
>
> The reality is that people go both ways.  . .from the gui to cli, and
> vice versa.  There's no set path.
>

> >> It was mentioned a few times how great it was that apple is embracing
> >> open source and its positive impact etc etc.  As far as I can tell,
> >> apple benefits from oss _far_ more than the other way around.
> >> got flamed by some folks in the class when I innocently asked (ok,
> >> trolled) what applications are they running that warrant a G5 server
> >> as
> >> opposed to a *BSD box.  They came at me hard w/ the old windows
> >> argument
> >> that unix cmd-line is too cryptic, the learning curve is to high, its
> >> easier to train admins to use a gui,...
> >
> > all too true man, all too true ...
> >

> Not to beat a dead horse/thread, but a big +1 on that. . .
>
> I remember so many times that the 'cli is dead' has been raised. . .
>
> but somehow, like BSD itself, the trolls are dead wrong.

I find it awkward to explain how verbally to do something with a GUI.
There are too many different names for the widgets (er, controls) and I feel
like I'm describing some sort of perverted techno version of a pirate's
treasure map. "Go to the Options pull-down, select Preferences dot-dot-dot,
then click on the Network tab and look half-way down and you'll see the Advanced
button. Now click that and in the dialog it pops up..."
Not to mention the hassle when some service pack changes the layout of the menu.

CLI is straightforward; just dictate the commands.

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis at bertrandtech dot ca>
(lurker from GTABUG)