[nycbug-talk] switch advice?

Mike Sawicki fifi
Wed Jul 14 11:44:27 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:18:31AM -0400, Michael Hanulec wrote:

> one thing to think about when buying a switch is to determine if you need
> a managed switch or not.  if i have the money i always choose to buy a
> managed switch as they are SO helpful when trying to debug network errors.
> debugging a slowly dying nic card is so easy with a managed switch.  my
> favorite, high-end GigE switch is the Nortel BayStack 5510 which comes in
> 24 and 48 port densities and can 'stack' to 384 ports.  if you don't have
> a lot of cash but want a managed switch look at the 1U ProCurve options
> from HP.
>
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
> > On Jul 13, 2004, at 2:56 AM, Jesse Callaway wrote:
> >
> > > Layer 2 aka 'dumb switch' buyer's guide:
> >
> > Dude, this rocks- thanks!

Unless money is a real issue I'd always recommend a managed switch.
Being able to trace network utilization to the edge is a must for
me in every network I operate.. even in my home.  I tend to use
Cisco's products as they seem to have figured out how to build
devices that turn on and keep working.  I'm sure some of you would
disagree, but I'm speaking from personal experience.

The 2950 line has several sub $1k models available.  If you want ge
ports you'll have to shell out a little more...  like $1200.  Cisco
sells switches with a standard or enhanced image.  You save money if
you're willing to accept a shortage of advanced features.  The
latest generation doesn't complain if you load an enhanced image on
a standard-purchased chassis though ..  Shhh..   ;)

Mike Sawicki
fifi at HAX.ORG