[nycbug-talk] Gig-E NIC

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Jul 15 17:33:25 EDT 2004

Hi Pete,

On Jul 15, 2004, at 6:26 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> Hey all,
>    Any thoughts on good Gig-E adapters for FreeBSD.  I'm running 4.x,
> and have always had good luck with the Intel NIC's.  Is anyone running
> Gig-E on different NIC's out there?  The reason I ask is I think I had
> an onboard adapter go down and i think I may replace it with a PCI
> card.

Here's a shout out on the SUOER cheap-o side of the spectrum,
I found these gigabit cards for $13, Here's where I found them:

http://www.opsinas.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=999

Encore 32-Bit Gigabit Ethernet PCI Adpater Card

Pricewatch may have more options...
It's a RealTek chipset, I believe- FreeBSD 5.x current supports it I
know personally, and OpenBSD natively supports it with the current
distro, (not 3.5).

Not sure if you want a quality card or just a quick replacement- but if
you want it fast, I happen to have an extra card and you could pick it
up from me on your way home if you wanted to try one out...

Rocket-
.ike