[nycbug-talk] Re: new NYCBUG www site. . .

michael lists
Sat Jul 17 10:15:13 EDT 2004

on 20040716 7:54 PM Bob Ippolito had written...

First, thanks for jumping on this thread so quickly!  It is important to
get feedback from the community before this goes out for public consumption.

> Looks much better!

thanks

> Is there a real good reason to limit the width of the site?  Seems like
> a waste when you're going to the site to read information, not to look
> at the pretty "shadows" on the edges.

The width and `shadows` were by design and yes, for good reason.. not
the least of which is I like them and I wrote it! <grin>.  There are
other reasons too, like readability, etc.  The real point here is, what
you see is my interpretation of how the site should look.  You may (and
do) have a different opinion.

Thank goodness for style sheets, eh?  In the BSD tradition, if you don't
like it code you own! <grin>.  The site can accomodate an infinite
number of style sheets, and as already stated, everyone is encouraged to
add their own.  See http://csszengarden.com/ for what I'm talking about.
  A browser that can handle multiple style sheets can switch among them.
  In the future we'll have a way to do that actually on the page.

> News/Events/etc. should be syndicated as RSS or ATOM (I don't care,
> NetNewsWire does both).

While I totally agree a newsfeed is a great idea, the News/Events/etc
sections were intended to be OUR news/events/etc.. you know, NYCBUG
specific stuff.  The two articles there are bad examples of
placeholders, sorry.

> The style sheet could use a little work (as advertised).  The "your ip"
> text at the bottom isn't really readable, and the headings could use
> some more vertical space between the lines of text.. it renders a bit
> different in Mozilla than it does in Safari (well, the 2.0 beta I'm
> using).  In Mozilla, the header in the top-right bar is spaced fine, in
> Safari the two lines of text are right on top of each other.  In both,
> the news header is really squished.
>
> -bob

I agree, the current css could surely use a little polish!  Thanks for
pointing them out, I'll un-squish <grin>.

Development was done using Mozilla FireFox and tested on Gentoo Linux,
FreeBSD, and Mac OSX.  It was not tested in other OS's.  It renders well
in Dillo and Lynx by design!  It is god-awful on IE-Mac, so don't even
bother.  The render is not too-too bad in Safari.  I remember it
rendered well in Opera several months ago, but I removed QT from my
Linux box and no longer run it.

Michael