[nycbug-talk] Re: new NYCBUG www site. . .

George Georgalis george
Sat Jul 17 11:49:12 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 10:33:28AM -0400, michael wrote:
>on 20040717 1:39 AM marco at metm.org had written...
>>I for one hate reading sites where the lines are extremely long, there
>>have been many studies which show that long lines are much harder to
>>read.  Implementing true columns (like a newpaper) is difficult.
>
>Obviously I agree with the long lines thing.. I toyed with the newspaper
>design and acutally have an unfinished model.  But, in the end I went
>with the blue chicklets.  A good guide for boxes is
>http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html

excellent link, need to check out the others too.

I don't like long lines either. but some people like 10pt and others
like 28pt as the base size, maybe because they view at 800x600 or
2048x1536 resolution, have a small or large display or need
different sizes to accommodate their vision.

when dimensions are relative, to font size or window size, the user has
more liberty -- she can use big fonts on high res or small fonts on
low res. when font sizes are adjusted and the layout is in px, neither
the viewer nor the author has control of the layout anymore.

<rant>The most common problem I find with web sites is when they require
me to use the authors font size _and_ pixel dimensions for proper
layout, that's not fair.</rant>

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631