[nycbug-talk] iSCSI SAN fun on the BSD's?

Pete Wright pete
Mon Jul 19 19:15:12 EDT 2004

Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Was just doing some reading about iSCSI, trying to solve a problem
> (and not have to buy Fibre Channel stuff...).
>
> With that, does anyone know anything about iSCSI or other SAN backend
> stuff that can be done with the BSD's, (actually, FreeBSD would be the
> 'client' boxes)...

from my experience using this stuff on IRIX and Linux is that if the OS
supports the Fiber Chan card (sorry havn't used iSCSI cards yet, altho
from what i've heard from others in the BUG is that FreeBSD's support
for this tech. is not there yet) then the storage should just show up as
a volume.  Generally with large Fiber Chan storage the firmware takes
care of slicing up, grouping and RAID'ing the disks.  The cards I've
worked with are Qlogic's and they all seem to work quite well with IRIX.

-p

> Any URLS or pointers to man pages would be greatly appreciated...

the "isp" and "ispfw" drivers for FreeBSD are where I would start
looking for fiberchan cards....