[nycbug-talk] iSCSI SAN fun on the BSD's?

Jesse Callaway jesse
Mon Jul 19 18:19:45 EDT 2004

I was looking for one at my last job. An initiator for FreeBSD that is,
but was disenhartened to learn that only RedHat provides one for free.
I was so pissed off. When I read your email I flipped back into
disbelief and started searching. here's what I found:

The outlook:
http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=20901

The outcome:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2004/05/27/0002.html

I wonder if the price isn't too bad. Somebody have all the ugly details
of why there isn't one? It's not bad technology over Gig-E... but it is
kinda slow with all of that TCP/IP going on. I wonder if there could be
a different kind of bus... like straight over the Gig ports, and, yes
using Ethernet since the cards can't really do much else... but maybe
no TCP or UDP. Is there already something like this? What's it called?
You know a SAN protocol which runs over Ethernet? Anyone want to write
one? I think it would be fun (and way outside my current capabilities).

Why doesn't iSCSI use UDP anyway? As long as you tell the kernel "I'm
still waiting..." The app should be in a happy deadlock or picking it's
nose or something.

Anyway. Somebody tell me I'm dead wrong I don't know what I'm talking
about on these two issues. I have my double-aught welder's mask on.