[nycbug-talk] SSH client session multiplexing

pete wright pete
Sun Jul 25 21:53:59 EDT 2004

On Jul 25, 2004, at 8:36 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:

> On Sun 2004.07.25 at 19:59 -0500, Pete Wright wrote:
>> Okan Demirmen wrote:

>>> ssh multiplexing and virtual screens are two different things. you
>>> all know what virtual screens are using screen and window, but ssh
>>> multiplexing allows one to, say, open up one control session to
>>> your server then "piggy back" the rest of them over that channel -
>>> the advantage is that one can do anything else over that same
>>> channel: tunneling, more ttys, X forwarding, rsync, cvs, whatever
>>> leveraging that one channel - net gain is performance. basically,
>>> it speeds up all my actions to one server. try it, you'll love it ;)
>>>

>> yea, agreed.  but michael was talking about "screen" a gnu utility
>> that
>> allows you to run a console...have it detached, reattach at another
>> location etc...
>> -p
>
> right, i got that...i guess my mail didn't make that clear - i was
> just trying to show that running "screen" or "window" is different
> than ssh multiplexing...different tools for separate actions...i
> don't think multiplexing and screen really can be compared... screen
> is great for, say, irc'ing and ssh multiplexing works well when you
> develop/work on a remote box.

heh...maybe i can't read :)  sorry 'bout that.  i think i'm a bit foggy
on how screen and multiplexing differ.  i guess it's one of those
things i'll just have to do eh?  so how do you config your sshd and ssh
conf's to utilize multiplexing, i'm intrigued.  i'll look it up, but
are there any hints to get one started?

  -p