[nycbug-talk] SSH client session multiplexing

Okan Demirmen okan
Sun Jul 25 23:21:20 EDT 2004

On Sun 2004.07.25 at 21:53 -0400, pete wright wrote:
> heh...maybe i can't read :)  sorry 'bout that.  i think i'm a bit foggy
> on how screen and multiplexing differ.  i guess it's one of those
> things i'll just have to do eh?  so how do you config your sshd and ssh
> conf's to utilize multiplexing, i'm intrigued.  i'll look it up, but
> are there any hints to get one started?

well, while we wait on the list server to spit out our mails...here is an
example ~/.ssh/config that kinda shows what one can do...and check your
tcp states while you're at it - all over one session.

# create multiplexed session and a local forward
Host myhost
        HostName myhost.example.com
        ControlMaster yes
        ControlPath ~/.ssh/myhost-ctrl
        LocalForward 2201 10.1.1.1:22

# ssh to myhost over session
Host myh
        ControlPath ~/.ssh/myhost-ctrl

# ssh to myhost with X forwarding over the same session
Host m-X
        ControlPath ~/.ssh/myhost-ctrl
        ForwardX11 yes

# ssh to local forward via session