[nycbug-talk] how are soekris boxes?

Barry Kominik barry
Thu Jul 29 10:39:28 EDT 2004

Michael Hanulec wrote:

> there was tons of talk about them in June.  has anyone received theirs
> yet?  anyone onlist done anything cool w/ them yet?
>
> --
> hanulec at hanulec.com        cell: 858.518.2647 && 516.410.4478
> https://secure.hanulec.com          EFnet irc && aol im: hanulec
> % Be sure to check out our Jobs and NYCBUG-announce lists
> % We meet the first Wednesday of the month

I got mine a few months before all that talk. I love it. I use it as a
home firewall/web/mail server running openbsd. I installed a 60 gig
laptop hard drive. The only problem I have is heat. The system runs at
about 60C which I think is too hot, though I haven't seen any errors. I
just bought a cheap usb wifi card with the prism3 chipset. I plan on
playing around with making a wifi base station. I'm also thinking of
swapping out the hard drive for a compact flash. Has anyone ever seen
one of these: US Modular 2.2GB compact flash;
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=338550  In the product
details it says the media is glass. I'd love to find out more about this
as it is cheap, $176.

Rgds,
Barry