[nycbug-talk] a few little questions

Jesse Callaway jesse
Thu Jul 29 13:12:58 EDT 2004

On Jul 29, 2004, at 12:27 PM, Joshua S. Freeman wrote:

> I am happy to report that I successfully downloaded 4.10 isos,
> installed
> 4.10 without a hitch... ran sysinstall... no problem with the RAID or
> the
> Serial ATA installed in the ION Computing box..
>  I even configured XFree86
> correctly though I've not installed anything more exciting than the
> basic
> window manager.
>
> Here are a couple of questions:
>
> 1) where do I set things so that the machine is listening for
> connections on
> port 22 (i.e. ssh)?

/etc/rc.conf
  - to turn the service on at boot make sure you have this line in the
file

sshd_enable = "YES"

If you have the manual pages installed, then run 'man rc.conf' and read
up on everyone's favorite config file. I prefer browsing the web for
man pages. I do a man -k at the command line and then go to the browser
to look for the manual.

/etc/ssh/sshd.conf
- tweak the port #, key size etc. You probably don't need to edit this,
but you should look at it.

> 2) when using sysinstall, a few things failed to install, most notably
> bacula, PHP and PHPMyAdmin.

Do sysinstall again and choose 'Post-install'. Then try to add the
packages again and write it down.

> When things fail to install I'm directed to look at the ..hrm.. should
> have
> written it down.. 'error' window?  the something window... basicaly,
> Sysinstall is telling me to look somewhere for more detailed
> information on
> why a port is failing to install but I can't figure out where it wants
> me to
> look or how to look there.

You can look at a virtual terminal on, I think vtty4, which is reached
through shift-F5? Maybe that's the one the colored install screen is
on. If this isn't the case, just go down the line holding down shift
and trying the function keys. You'll see the error messages.