[nycbug-talk] a few little questions

michael lists
Thu Jul 29 13:06:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:27:42 -0400
"Joshua S. Freeman" <jfreeman at nybg.org> wrote:

> I am happy to report that I successfully downloaded 4.10 isos,
> installed 4.10 without a hitch... ran sysinstall... no problem with
> the RAID or the Serial ATA installed in the ION Computing box.. I even
> configured XFree86 correctly though I've not installed anything more
> exciting than the basic window manager.

Good for you!  Are you new to computers?  Is this your first BSD
install?

> Here are a couple of questions:
>
> 1) where do I set things so that the machine is listening for
> connections on port 22 (i.e. ssh)?

You can run systinstall again and select [Configure] then
[Networking] and you need to check off [sshd].  Sysinstall is kind-of
like windows with bright colors and menu choices.   Many people find it
helpful to spend some time poking around in sysinstall.  As you learn
more you will be able to configure many things on your own using the CLI
(command line interface).

> 2) when using sysinstall, a few things failed to install, most notably
> bacula, PHP and PHPMyAdmin.
>
> When things fail to install I'm directed to look at the ..hrm.. should
> have written it down.. 'error' window?  the something window...
> basicaly, Sysinstall is telling me to look somewhere for more detailed
> information on why a port is failing to install but I can't figure out
> where it wants me to look or how to look there.

The error message is vital.  Do it again and pay very close attention
and write everything down. The answer to your problem will likely be
there!!

Michael

--
---