[nycbug-talk] Advice on setting up a RAID array

Jonathan jonathan.michael.stewart
Thu Jul 29 20:28:17 EDT 2004

Hello all,
	I'm thinking about setting up a RAID array for my computer for a few
reasons:
1.  I'm really bad about backups and I have too much information that is
reorganized too often to try to backup on CDs
2.  I'd like to have more hard drive space for future use
3.  I have some money to spend :) and I have not spent any on computers
for over 6 months :(

	The main things I am looking for with the RAID array are (not
necessarily in priority order):
1.  Size, I'd like to go 500GB+
2.  Redundancy, the main requirement I'm planning to try and mitigate
any crashes considering I have no backups (I do know hard drive crashes
are not the only thing that can destroy data but hard drive crashes are
my main concern)
3.  Preferably Hardware RAID so it is more compatible across OSes and
performs better.
4.  SATA, I don't know if this is even an option yet but SATA would be
very nice esp. considering 18in IDE cables can't reach anywhere near the
top of my case where I would need to put the drives.
5.  Compatibility, I don't doubt whatever I get would work under windows
but I also want to be sure it will work under the BSDs (FreeBSD-current
won't boot right now but I want to try  NetBSD one of these days
(5.2.1-release does work for some reason))

Awaiting much helpful advice ;)
Jonathan