[nycbug-talk] Advice on setting up a RAID array

Charles Sprickman spork
Thu Jul 29 20:36:00 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Jonathan wrote:

> Hello all,
> 	I'm thinking about setting up a RAID array for my computer for a
> few reasons:
> 1.  I'm really bad about backups and I have too much information that is
> reorganized too often to try to backup on CDs

I can tell you from very recent experience that redundancy and backup are
two very different things.  Backups can really save your ass if you make a
mistake.  Redundancy generally offers less protection against human error.
Human error is hard to avoid with humans using computers. :)

If you have the budget, consider getting a really big IDE drive that you
can periodically rsync (or any other "simple" backup scheme) with your
RAID array.

Charles