[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

Dru dlavigne6
Fri Jul 30 21:36:05 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:

> I'm working on a outline of making FreeBSD a useful desktop.  It's aimed at
> those who have told me face-to-face so many times that they'd love to try out
> a BSD, but have so many basic functions that aren't fulfilled by BSD on a
> desktop.
>
> It may become a meaty piece of documentation for our documentation project,
> or maybe a serialized piece in Daemon News, or who knows what. . .
>
> I'd appreciate any input anyone has in terms of their favorite X packages to
> run. . .and using which window manager.  I'm not going to cover Gnome or KDE
> environments, but rather focus on XFCE, FVWM, MLVWM, WindowMaker, etc. . .

Out of curiosity, why the focus on the light-weight window managers? I was
an XFCE fan myself, until I could afford a PC with enough RAM and CPU to
comfortably run KDE. Build KDE's metaport and you already have 85% of the
desktop stuff you'd ever want to use...

As for fave utilities: gimp, firefox, OpenOffice (only for compatability
with coworkers), Abiword (because I prefer something more lightweight),
numlockx (because it sucks to have to press the numlocks key), xmms, ogle,
gkrellm, and scrot. Plus all my network toys, but not every desktop user
is a network geek...

Dru