[nycbug-talk] BSD on a desktop

Scott Robbins scottro
Sat Jul 31 16:11:45 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 03:33:19PM -0400, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Sat 2004.07.31 at 15:14 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > >
> > > <shameless spam>
> > > Some friends of mine and I are working on a series of QND (as in
> > > quick-n-dirty) guides--we threw in one about screen.
> >
> > http://qnd-guides.org/qnd-screen.html
>
> i know this is getting OT, but i'd like to throw my $.02 out here.

IMHO very apt, however (sigh, if this were a Deb list, there's a pun
there.)

> other words, i say learn to use the standard utils, existant in all
> OS's / shells, first, then find the nice "addon" tools later.
> (*bsd/sunos/solaris/hpux/aix/linux/etc......) far too many times
> have i seen admins expect to use tools that simply do not exist on
> stock/custom builds that are not their own - and then even in dire
> times....

An embarrassing but perhaps educational story.

I first got into IT as a profession via the MCSE route though the *nix
clones interested me a great deal.  I got my first job, and had to edit
some files on an AIX box.  Thinking I was an elite Linuxer or whatever,
I went to fire up pico--oops, no pico on the AIX box.  (Yeah, I know,
but remember I was ignorant then.)

I learned vi in a hurry, and when I see posts like Okan's, I think of
how true they are.

I like screen but wouldn't want to be hired somewhere, go to do some
remote things and not know of -nohup.

Thank you Okan, for reminding us of this.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: Acathla turned to stone, as demons sometimes do, and
was buried
where neither man nor demon would want to look...unless, of course,
they're
putting up low-rent housing.