[nycbug-talk] ports [was re: BSD on a desktop]

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Sat Jul 31 18:58:28 EDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:27:33 -0400 (EDT)
Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Okan Demirmen wrote:
>
> > in openbsd, both "make build" (base build) and "make
> > (package|install)"(ports) pull a nice variable from /etc/mk.conf -
> > SUDO=/usr/bin/sudo.
>
> In FreeBSD have a look at the portupgrade port (which also has a
> hardlink called "portinstall") and check out it's "-s" switch.
>
> It would be nice if portupgrade were part of the base, but I suppose
> that they don't want ruby in the base just for one set of tools.
>
> If you're using freebsd and never used portupgrade, try it out; it's a
> fantastic way to safely upgrade things.  All old ports/packages are
> backed-up so you can undo anything if you make a mistake.  And
> pkgtools.conf lets you set presets for things like PHP, mysql, or
> anything that requires some build-time adjustments.

It is a nice tool, that I use.  But with that said NetBSD pkgsrc tools
provide most/all the added functionality of portupgrade.  And it works
on Solaris(among others) also, quit well I must say.  I am using it for
package management at work, netbsd on PC's and Sun/Solaris.

marc