[nycbug-talk] some OS X questions... DNS

Pete Wright pete
Tue Jun 1 15:08:39 EDT 2004

George Georgalis wrote:

>I have a Mac visiting me here on a dhcp lan. It doesn't
>seem to properly resolve hosts on my .local domain.
>".local.stage" is also here and that works fine. No clue
>from /etc/hosts, is is the "local" domain "prohibited"?
>Per logs, that domain doesn't reach my dnscache,
>
>Few more questions, but guess better to put on separate messages...
>
>// George

have you checked out Netinfo in Apps/Utilites/NetinfoManager (it's
something like that).  this is the kludge i use to manage my hosts file
on OSX.  Under the machines entry i add each of the boxen that i would
normally have in my /etc/hosts file.  maybe the bigger mac heads have a
better workaround.

you might want to also check /etc/resolv.conf and make sure "file" is
set before netinfo...altho i *think* this get's reset after reboot.

-pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~
Pete Wright