[nycbug-talk] virtual users and ftp/scp/rsync-ssh

Pete Wright pete
Wed Jun 2 12:22:07 EDT 2004

Pete Wright wrote:

> George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:47:53AM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>

>> I tend to stick with 'traditional' installations, for a variety
>> of reasons.  Trying twistedmatrix would cause a variety of site
>> technical/political issues, besides the extra time to learn it...
>>

> just a question, why are you shying away from chroot'ing each of these
> users?  you can set up each jail with access only to rsync/scp/sftp
> etc. and the respective config files.  as i found with the proftp
> jail's, it's not as hard as it seems.  it just takes a bit of
> planning, but once you figure out what each user needs things should
> be ok.  new jails can even be automated with a scripting lang as
> well.  i do know that whith jailed ssh sessions there are issues with
> running programs like "w" and "ps", altho it doesn't seem like you
> need interactive logins....
>
> -p

sorry don't think it was quite clear here, mixed up jail's and chroot.
anyway here is a interesting link that explains what i was trying to state:

http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/papers/jail/jail-4.html#section4

this is the main page:
http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/papers/jail/jail.html

-pete