[nycbug-talk] virtual users and ftp/scp/rsync-ssh

George Georgalis george
Wed Jun 2 15:20:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:25:14PM -0400, Pete Wright wrote:
>George Georgalis wrote:
>
>this is what i accomplished using proftpd-mysql.

Yep, I think that's what I'll use.

>   i think the second link i posted is a good starting place for
>FreeBSD.  OpenBSD also makes heavy use of jails.  I do not have any
>direct links right now, only the mans ;)  maybe someone else on the list
>knows of a good howto or something...

Was reading over that.  I normally use linux, it looks like FreeBSD
'jail' and linux 'chroot' commands provide roughly the same
functionality, with better networking support with FreeBSD jail.

Is there a separate BSD 'chroot' command that provides different
functionality than the 'jail' command?

>>BTW - is there a way to give cvs access but no login shell and no
>>pserver?
>>

>this i don't know, altho i assume it should be pretty trvial.

generally the cvs binary operates on the local filesystem CVSROOT,
so using cvs remotely via the ssh shell is an easy way to do remote.
but with no login shell I doubt running remote cvs commands will be easy.
pserver is a cleartext server daemon for cvs access, but seems to get
compromised from time to time.

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631