[nycbug-talk] kernels

Bob Ippolito bob
Thu Jun 3 13:52:16 EDT 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 1:06 PM, mlists at bizintegrators.com wrote:

>>> I think binary patches and binary kernel modules are very different.
>>> Unless there is a source, or it complies with OpenBSD goals, they
>>> will
>>> not accept anything kernel or userland related. Even with source,
>>> and a
>>> bad license, they will not accept it. This is what I meant when I
>>> said
>>> the above.
>>> Binary patches patch already what is in the system. My comment only
>>> related to things like binary-only NV drivers, for example.
>>
>> I don't get what you're trying to say here.  Linux won't accept kernel
>> modules and patches that aren't GPL either, but it just so happens
>> that
>> there are third parties that provide a few binary only drivers.  In
>> the
>> case of OpenBSD, you just don't have any interested third parties
>> (that
>> I'm aware of).
>
> As far as I know, GPL means you have to release the source, and since
> there is no source for NVidia, they must not be GPL. I'm guessing, so
> you might be right. They might be LGPL or whatever, to allow such
> drivers to link against the kernel. I don't know how it works. I know
> there is no source for NV module driver from NVidia.

No, the Linux kernel is GPL, but does allow for *runtime* linking of
closed code.  There was a big dispute over whether or not this was
allowed by the GPL, but Linus decreed that vendors should be allowed to
do this, so they can with certain limitations.

> I'm trying to say this. If NVidia writes a driver for OpenBSD, and
> releases it in a binary-only form, they will not accept it.

NVidia's drivers aren't "accepted" by Linux either.  They are however
legally allowed to exist, and perhaps some distributions of Linux
include them for the convenience of the users.

OpenBSD's license allows you to do more or less whatever you want,
including linking in proprietary drivers.  The reason they don't exist
is just because nobody has written them.  If I were to release some
distribution of OpenBSD, I would be allowed to include whatever
proprietary code I want in whatever form I so choose regardless of how
it's linked to other code, because the BSD license is open to such
scenarios.

-bob