[nycbug-talk] Fwd: no more apache updates

Bob Ippolito bob
Mon Jun 7 17:18:01 EDT 2004

On Jun 7, 2004, at 5:47 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> mikel king wrote:
>
>> Pete Wright wrote:
>>
>>> G. Rosamond wrote:
>>>
>>> [SNIP][SNIP][SNIP]
>>

>> Sounds like my wife when she's clipping coupons...;-)
>>
>> Regardless...of the change it won't stop you from trying it out on
>> your own.  Just means that neither Theo nor the rest of the oBSD crew
>> will openly search for security issues et cettera in that peticular
>> port.
>>
> yea, unfortunatly i think that's a big plus for most people who deploy
> apache on oBSD.  i did some searching about a bunch of lists regarding
> the apache 2.x lic. and it seems that the oBSD camp is not the first
> to balk at adopting it in regard to the new lic. terms.  There was an
> interesting thread on debian-legal regarding this.  <sarcasm>oh well,
> i guess i'll just go back to IIS, atleast all the political infighting
> is hidden from the user base ;^) i mean a webserver is a webserver
> right?</sarcasm>

Software licenses give me a headache.  The *BSD guys have it right --
MIT and BSD style licenses are really the only way to go.  They're the
only licenses straightforward enough to where a software developer can
actually understand what they're agreeing to, and free enough such that
you don't have to think twice before hacking the code or redistributing
a binary.  The [L]GPL makes me want to puke, and the fringe licenses
that are written by lawyers (APSL, MPL, etc.) are just obnoxious.

I'm not afraid to use software with a crappy license if the software
does what I need it to do.  Except for BitKeeper's free license, which
is downright evil.. but I won't contribute to software that isn't "free
as in I can use it however the fuck I want to" unless it's an absolute
necessity.
</rant>

-bob