[nycbug-talk] USENIX + CACert

Bob Ippolito bob
Fri Jun 11 00:40:59 EDT 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 12:02 AM, mikel king wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Jun 10, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think I'm going to be able to make USENIX this year, but one
>>> thing I've heard about that particularly interests me is that the
>>> whole CAcert crew is going to be there.  CAcert is the
>>> "Community-Oriented and Driven Certificate Authority".  Basically,
>>> they're trying to do what Thawte, Verisign, etc. does, but offer the
>>> services for free.  They offer email, server, and most recently code
>>> signing certificates.
>
>    Thanks for the heads up on this.  There are just too many great
> projects out there that it's har sometimes to be aware of all of them.
>  Well in any event I took the liberty of  registering with cacert and
> then investigating the assurance program. I then contacted them to
> find out what we are supposed to do and this is the email theat I
> received;
>
> mikel king wrote:
>
>> I've read your documentation about becoming an assurer, and I am a
>> bit unclear about the procedure for the problem of not having any
>> assurers in my area. Truth be told that's the main reason why I would
>> be interested in doing this, as I work in the NYC Metro area and know
>> of hundreds of people who would need this. If some one would contact
>> me and explain what would need to be done I'd be very appreciative.
>

> Would you be able to get a group of people together?
>
> Basically we're trying to cover as many people as possible and if you
> could get enough people together, I have some time after the
> conference before I fly back to Australia and I'd be even willing to
> suffer a bus trip to accommodate a large enough group...
>
> I  assured Duane that I could garantee atleast 20 people and possibly
> upwards of 70. Cause if this dude is willing to stop in to check us
> out I think it'd be worth the special meeting...So who's game?

I am most definitely game, however I will be at SF for WWDC from the
27th-4th.  Which means I miss USENIX and the next nycbug meeting.  If
we could schedule something afterwards (i.e. take over some drinking
establishment) it would be awesome.  I bet if we invited the NYLUG'ers
or NYPHP (?) or whatever, we could have one ugly assurance/key signing
orgy on our hands.

-bob