[nycbug-talk] August Meeting

Bob Ippolito bob
Mon Jun 14 12:38:22 EDT 2004

On Jun 14, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> On Monday 14 June 2004 12:00 pm, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> On Jun 14, 2004, at 9:57 AM, marco at metm.org wrote:
>>> BTW I used VLC on OSX to playback a video file for an installation
>>> that
>>> had to run off an IBook, because Apple decided to cripple Quicktime
>>> and
>>> remove the full screen playback function... bastards...
>>
>> Full screen playback is one of the benefits of the registered version,
>> cheap bastard :)
>>

> Full screen should be a basic feature. ?Stupid crapple.
>
> I switched my gf to Mplayer-OSX a long long time ago. ?Quicktime was
> more
> like AnnoyingTime because it doesn't play dvix/mp3 movies natively. ?
> Instead she would have to use the dvix.com tool [1] to modify the
> movie so
> she could play it.
>
> Mplayer-OSX doesn't need no conversion, nor does it charge you for a
> basic
> feature. (its OSS too)

The registration fee for QuickTime Pro is really because it allows you
to easily edit+encode video.  Full screen playback probably should be
included in the basic version, but nobody is stopping you from using
another application.  The QuickTime API doesn't particularly care
whether or not you are registered, a third party front-end could easily
offer such functionality without having to re-implement the hard stuff.

-bob