[nycbug-talk] IRC revisited

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Thu Jun 17 02:33:05 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 06:07 pm, Pete Wright wrote:
> hey all,
>     So from what i've gathered on IRC and the list today it seems like a
> good amount of people like freenode.net.  i've also used it in the past
> for various projects.  right now on irc.freenode.net there are a couple
> people online.  so i guess what i'm saying is that i think we should
> make irc.freenode.net our new IRC home.

There is a small problem:  the channel isn't registered to any "official"
nycbug person or designee.  The channel is registered to "crohnik" who
hasn't been seen for the last 14 weeks.  (which is over the 120 days /nick
expiration period Freenode policy states.  When a /nick is registered, so
are all the channels that were registered with it, meaning #nycbug no
longer becomes a registered channel).

The best way to easily fix the registration issue is by having someone with
a @nycbug.org email address talk to a freenode staff person in #freenode.
The nycbug person can simply ask for channel registration, and there should
be no reason why the freenode staffer will not transfer the channel
registration.  (then the/a nycbug person *hint george!* should fill out the
lengthy group-contact form on the freenode.org site).  (Who ever NYCBUG
does choose as their IRC person should be someone who is an IRC "regular"
to prevent loss of channel registration.)

yeah yeah, its a bit more complex than simply running a botnet on EFnet, but
its totally worth it, especially for an OSS oriented group.  (being that
most OSS groups are either on Freenode or OFTC).

Sunny Dubey