[nycbug-talk] CF card for soekris boxen

mlists at bizintegrators.com mlists
Thu Jun 17 18:34:33 EDT 2004

> Anyhow, thought I'd shout out to the list because these looked pretty
> darned inexpensive to me, but I don't know squat about CF cards, so any
> comments/experiences are much appreciated...  Do these things look
> sane?  Are CF cards even the way to go when building network
> firewalls/routers (and space for even full size HD's is no big
> deal...)- Are they actually easier to work with than HD's?

You can install the OS on them the same way you would on a hard disk.
They are also supposed to be more write-resistent these days. You can
always turn off logging or mount few things to RAM..

Since there are no moving parts, they should be more reliable.
Military uses them in deserts, or something.

Overall personally they have more advantages than hard drives for
something like soekris, and then there is a coolness factor..but I've
only used them for one OS so your situation might differ. I run mine
on a 64MB CF, but people run them on 8 as well.

-bruno