[nycbug-talk] Microsoft VirtualPC for Mac

Bob Ippolito bob
Fri Jun 18 15:18:23 EDT 2004

On Jun 18, 2004, at 3:05 PM, Kurt Miller wrote:

> From: <marco at metm.org>
>> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 02:03:42PM -0400, Kurt Miller wrote:
>>> I'm looking to replace my aging Vaio and am seriously considering
>>> a Mac. The one thing I will miss the most is VMWare. I use it on
>>> my laptop to work on OpenBSD ports while traveling. I think it
>>> would be fantastic if I could use Microsoft VirtualPC for Mac to
>>> run OpenBSD/i386. Anyone here tried it yet?
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?
>>> pid=virtualpc
>
>> I've got to wonder why you would give yourself the headache of trying
>> run two emulation environments. When you could run OpenBSD native on
>> another laptop.  Of course you could also run another free ppc os on
>> your
>> iBook like I do.
>
> The idea is to not reboot from one OS to another all the time (or to
> carry multiple laptops). My current laptop can boot into OpenBSD
> and WinK2, but also run the same OpenBSD partition in VMWare.
> I rarely take the time to do the reboot to use OpenBSD.
>
> I'm thinking/hoping with the Mac and the Microsoft Virtual PC, I
> could get the best of all worlds (OS X, Windows development,
> OpenBSD development). Best of all I would get to dump windows
> for my day to day usage. ;)

If it doesn't work, you have other options:
	(a) use bochs (and suffer, horribly)
	(b) wait for the Darwin port of MacOnLinux, which should be coming out
relatively soon, and run a PPC OpenBSD
	(c) use an old version of VirtualPC (works fine as long as you don't
have a G5.. haven't tested OpenBSD, but have tested Linux and FreeDOS)

I've tried MacOnLinux (Debian PPC hosting OS X 10.2), and it did work
but had some bugs (read: the virtualized OS X crashed like a windows
box).

-bob