[nycbug-talk] tar question

Bob Ippolito bob
Sat Jun 19 19:03:02 EDT 2004

On Jun 19, 2004, at 7:39 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> I have a wierd question about "tar".  how is the order of what it put
> into the archive dictated?  I assumed it was alphabetic, but I've been
> putting a file to tape and is not in alpha order.  It's not like it
> matters really but I was woundering if anyone has some insight to
> this.  the man page does not shed any light into this.

Presumably in the order you specified on the command line.  In the case
of wildcards, your shell decides how to expand the wildcards.  In the
case of tarring up directories recursively, it's going to happen in
whatever order the filesystem decides to spew it out (probably
opendir/readdir, I haven't read the implementation, but it doesn't
matter).

-bob