[nycbug-talk] Don't like it? Do something. (was no more apache updates)

Dan Langille dan
Wed Jun 23 23:05:36 EDT 2004

On 23 Jun 2004 at 22:21, Josh McCormack wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> >>I like that people are expected to write code or shutup.
> >

> <snip>
> > ...I'm just saying maybe non-coders do contribute after all. It sounds more
> > like the problem is them complaining and demanding. Which brings us back to
> > attracting more flies with honey than vinegar. It's something that most of
> > us, especially myself, can use a lesson in.
> >
> > -rcollins
>
> I agree with you completely. There are a lot of ways to contribute other
> than code. But what I feel the code or shutup thing means is - do what
> you want to do to contribute, and don't think you have the authority to
> tell someone else what they should do.

Recommended reading items:

  http://www.freebsddiary.org/advocacy.php
  http://www.freebsddiary.org/howtoimprove.php
  http://www.freebsddiary.org/tell-your-story.php
  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/01/31/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

For what it's worth:

I didn't like the end-user documentation.  I started The FreeBSD
Diary. I liked how Freshmeat worked.  I improved on it by creating
FreshPorts. I liked the OSW-style conferences, so I created BSDCan.

If you think an idea is good, do it. Don't want for "approval".

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/