[nycbug-talk] Interesting

Paul Dlug paul
Wed Jun 30 23:50:11 EDT 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 5:26 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> Sorry this is apple related, but very interesting non-the-less:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/
>
> A quote:
> "Rendezvous technology is also available on various POSIX platforms,
> including Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD."

It's not from Apple but rendezvous has been available for a while:

http://www.porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/

It's in the FreeBSD ports collection: net/howl

I've used it successfully for a while, there's also a perl module:
net/p5-Net-Rendezvous

I'm not aware of any major applications or OS distributions including
this functionality yet. It's not really interesting until someone does
the work to integrate it so you can connect FreeBSD box and a Mac and
just have them start talking.