[nycbug-talk] freesbie

Pete Wright pete
Tue Mar 2 13:02:27 EST 2004

Ray wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:56:15PM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
>

>>they have two ftp servers which seem to be getting hammered right now,
>>so i'm in the process of downloading to our www server.
>>
>>hopefully, the nycbug traffic can be avoided on their servers.
>>
>>the file should be ready in about 4 hours.  when it's ready, you can
>>find the iso at:
>>

>Has anyone considered/tried using BitTorrent, which should solve
>these sorts of problems?  Note: I don't use BitTorrent, only read
>of it.

BitTorrent is very nice in specific situations, i.e. when there are
*lots* of people trying to get the same file.  i've found that when
getting ISO's of the net the best through-put rates happen usually hours
after the initital annoucement, then by a week's time or so not many
people keep thier bittorrent apps running and hence the through-put goes
down drastically.  all in all though, i've been able to max out my
cable-modem connection with bittorrent...which is nice ;)

-pete