[nycbug-talk] current FreeBSD Advocacy thread

Pete Wright pete
Mon Mar 8 10:13:32 EST 2004

Ray wrote:

>Until we have an installer than a true newbie can install like a
>pro, we really don't have a good installer.  I would say that the
>Windows 2000 installer was awesome simply because I installed it
>without any problems and didn't have any questions as to what was
>what the first time I installed it.  Of course, I completely disagree
>with what choices it made for me in regard to all the enabled
>services.

<rant>not to start a religious war, but i really can't stand the Win2k,
XP etc. installers.  I see no reason why i should have reboot about 4
times to get a basic desktop system, then have to reboot another 4-6
times to just get the thing OK to run on a network.</rant>
Sorry, had to vent that...on a similar note, you all might be interested
in a discussion that Debian is having regarding this issue.  The default
installer is a basic curses affair, easy to use and *very* flexible.
There is alot of disscussion going on there now regarding a new
installation framework.  Basicly, they think a more modular installer
that would allow people to create new frontends w/o changin the basic
back-end functionality is thier goal from what i understand.  I'm not
sure if any BSD needs a new installer or anything like that, but it
seems pretty related.

-pete