[nycbug-talk] current FreeBSD Advocacy thread

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Tue Mar 9 00:28:44 EST 2004

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:42:00 -0500
Jesse Callaway <jesse at theholymountain.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see installers being released just like any other app.
> Your stuck with the default FreeBSD installer if you want the very
> latest OS. But +1-2 days you could have all of your favorite
> installers ported to it.

NNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  Word processors went through this in the 90's and it
was a real bad idea.  Or another way to look at it is installing linux,
which one?  Suse, Redhat, Debian all have different installers. What I
would like to see is the *BSD's do is settle on 1 installer.  Yes you
might need to read 10 pages, ok 3 pages and pictures, to understand the
process but is that really such a big deal?  And think of how simple
support is.  I think the brain dead installer is the wrong optimization,
after all your only clueless when you start for +99% of the time you
know the basics.  We should try to cure the clueless not cater to them.

marc