[nycbug-talk] Job Opening: Systems Administrator, Ridge, NY

Paul Dlug paul
Wed Mar 31 15:57:18 EST 2004

I have an opening for a systems administrator, the job description and
skill requirements are below. We're a big FreeBSD shop, we run it on
servers and workstations, most of our end users are being migrated to
Mac OS X as well.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me. The office
location may not be ideal for many people but for someone looking to do
what they love everyday it's the perfect job.

--Paul

The American Physical Society (APS) is seeking a systems administrator
for our editorial office. This is an exciting opportunity to become
part of a small team responsible for the system, network and
application infrastructure at a medium sized business. This position is
located in Ridge, NY (LIE Exit 68), local candidates only, no
contractors or consultants need apply.

	Responsibilities:
	- Maintenance of FreeBSD and Solaris servers including network
installs, patching, application installation, performance tuning and
troubleshooting.
	- Lead role in our deployment of Mac OS X desktops across our
organization. This will include building an infrastructure to support
this initiative and working hand-in-hand with our support staff
implement this rollout.
	- Application installation and configuration (sendmail, OpenLDAP,
CUPS, StarOffice, etc.)
	- Application monitoring using NTop, Nagios, MRTG, SNMP, etc.
	- Tape backup using Legato or other backup software
	- Maintenance of apache web servers
	- Assisting users and support staff with troubleshooting
	- Automation of tasks using cfengine and perl scripts
	- On-call rotation
	- Some physical tasks (lifting equipment, rackmounting servers, etc.).
	- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills

	Skills/Experience:
	- Unix systems administration (FreeBSD and solaris preferred)
	- Experience with a language such as perl for scripting absolutely
required
	- Experience with NFS, DNS, LDAP, TCP/IP, CUPS
	- Experience with mail services (sendmail, postfix, SMTP)
	- Experience with backup software
	- Mac OS X administration a plus
	- Experience with radmind a big plus

	Please send all resumes/code samples to: paul at aps.org