[nycbug-talk] noob questions

Pete Wright pete
Mon May 3 09:34:27 EDT 2004

mlists at bizintegrators.com wrote:

>You could also do pkg_add from ftp site and it will get all
>dependencies for you as well.

i've grown fond of "pkg_add -r my_package"

which will download my_package and all dependencies as well much like
"apt-get install" if i remember correctly...don't have a man handy right
now.  other nice FreeBSD software management utils.(from the handbook
which is avail free at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html)

pkg_info (will tell you what packages you have installed)

this is helpfull for ports:
$ cd /usr/ports
$ make index
now you can search for specfic ports so you don't have to search /usr/ports
$ make search key=foo | less
and finally, i think this was mentioned:
portupgrade (this is will upgrade a installed port, or your whole ports
tree.  i'd read the Handbook on this one)

hope this get's you interested.

-pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~