[nycbug-talk] Brief Intro

Pastor Mac pastormac
Sat May 8 21:01:22 EDT 2004

Hi all--

I'm de-lurking for a moment to introduce myself as a very raw newbie in
the world of *NIX-like OSs.  Indeed, I am a church minister although
for the moment I'm not currently serving a church but on and off have
taken a number of computer science/IT classes and I've been hoping for
an opportunity in network administration one day.  I've been a Mac user
for the past 12 years and last year acquired a Sawtooth G4 so that I
could start using OS X.  I've installed/played with a few distros of
Linux on x86 but a couple months ago I surfed to the FreeBSD site and
downloaded an ISO and installed it just to see how it compared.  In
short, I've been consuming any and all BSD related info/websites and
have probably turned into zealot novice for BSD asking some fellow CS
students at Calvin College to move to a more mature and secure
environment:-).

I found this list via the user group listing on the main FreeBSD
website and subscribed to get a sense of the community in the tri-state
area.  I currently live in Grand Rapids, MI but will be relocating to
Sussex, NJ in early June since the job market in west MI is simply
awful.  My wife's family is from the N. Haledon/Wyckoff area so I've
gotten to know the neighborhood reasonably well.  PTL for Hagstrom
maps:-) What I'm hoping for is some kind soul on the list who has
reasonable patience and lives in the northern NJ area who can mentor a
newbie to craft a home server and learn how to do sysadmin work.  On a
related note, I realize the organization is geared to the 5 boroughs
and I would like to participate and come to the various gatherings but
Sussex to Midtown might be a stretch consistently.  Is there a NJ
sub-group?

I will say the BSDCan event looks most cool but about 95% would likely
be over my head for now.  I hope I haven't interfered with existing
discussions and I'll try to pay as much attention as possible to the
discussions here so I can pick up a few nuggets along the way and try
real hard not to be like the marketing guy in User Friendly.

back to lurking...
Pax,

Mike McDonald
Pastor Mac