[nycbug-talk] Brief Intro

G.Rosamond george
Sat May 8 21:10:49 EDT 2004

On May 8, 2004, at 9:01 PM, Pastor Mac wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> I'm de-lurking for a moment to introduce myself as a very raw newbie
> in the world of *NIX-like OSs.  Indeed, I am a church minister
> although for the moment I'm not currently serving a church but on and
> off have taken a number of computer science/IT classes and I've been
> hoping for an opportunity in network administration one day.  I've
> been a Mac user for the past 12 years and last year acquired a
> Sawtooth G4 so that I could start using OS X.  I've installed/played
> with a few distros of Linux on x86 but a couple months ago I surfed to
> the FreeBSD site and downloaded an ISO and installed it just to see
> how it compared.  In short, I've been consuming any and all BSD
> related info/websites and have probably turned into zealot novice for
> BSD asking some fellow CS students at Calvin College to move to a more
> mature and secure environment:-).

Sounds great Pastor Mac.  Hopefully you find that our links on
nycbug.org are useful.  If you have any addtional ones that you
particularly liked, send them to me or the list.

> I found this list via the user group listing on the main FreeBSD
> website and subscribed to get a sense of the

Glad they listed us. . .

> community in the tri-state area.  I currently live in Grand Rapids, MI
> but will be relocating to Sussex, NJ in early June since the job
> market in west MI is simply awful.  My wife's family is from the N.
> Haledon/Wyckoff area so I've gotten to know the neighborhood
> reasonably well.  PTL for Hagstrom maps:-) What I'm hoping for is some
> kind soul on the list who has reasonable patience and lives in the
> northern NJ area who can mentor a newbie to craft a home server

There are a number of members in NJ. . .Hopefully there's one who has
an afternoon free on a weekend to assist you.

> and learn how to do sysadmin work.  On a related note, I realize the
> organization is geared to the 5 boroughs and I would like to
> participate and come to the various gatherings but Sussex to Midtown
> might be a stretch consistently.  Is there a NJ sub-group?

This group only started having meetings in January, so I think a NJ sub
group might be a bit presumtuous.  But the fact is that there are a
good number of people in NJ, and it's not a crazy notion for the
future.

> I will say the BSDCan event looks most cool but about 95% would likely
> be over my head for now.  I hope I haven't

Maybe, maybe not.  Osmosis does wonders.

> interfered with existing discussions and I'll try to pay as much
> attention as possible to the discussions here so I can pick up a few
> nuggets along the way and try real hard not to be like the marketing
> guy in User Friendly.

Not worried about you 'interfering' as much as a few useful nuggets
coming off the list.<g>

If we have the audience at some point, the talk list is at about 115
members, I think creating a new user list would be a good idea.

> back to lurking...
> Pax,
>
> Mike McDonald
> Pastor Mac
> On OS X

Feel free to ask questions. . .I think responding to questions forces
people to provide answers that make sense.  Particularly on issues they
don't necessarily articulate very often.